Our lifestyle

✍ 15 July 2023

View into our hut. In the middle of the room is the piano.

We live in a wooden cottage with no heating, no car, no fridge, no TV, no sofa, no cooking, no WC... Can you imagine that? Take a look at our cottage! Our cottage doesn't even have walls on two sides. Therefore, heating would not make sense. I'm glad that I don't need gas bottles, it saves me shopping, the risk in case of fire... Read more about our lifestyle, and listen the videos

We live in a wooden cottage with no heating, no car, no fridge, no TV, no sofa, no cooking, no WC... Can you imagine that? Take a look at our cottage!

Watch video on youtube:

Photo of Murielle

Introduction by Murielle

Watch video on youtube:

Introduction by Meenhard

Introduction by Meenhard

No heating

Our cottage doesn't even have walls on two sides. Therefore, heating would not make sense. I'm glad that I don't need gas bottles, it saves me shopping, the safety risk in the event of a fire and it's good for the environment. But I hang blankets on the open sides in winter to keep the cold wind out a bit. The coldest temperatures here are around +5°C. With warm clothes and blankets I can stand it quite well. Murielle sometimes has problems with the cold. Then she stays in a tent for a long time or visits friends in France. Also, I can take the summer heat better than Murielle.

Watch video on youtube:

Small matress on the ground with blanket and jacket

No heating but blankets


No car

When we go shopping or visit people, we mostly use the bicycle. On Saturdays, I cycle 14 km to the church in El Morche to play music in the German service and lead a gospel choir, and back home again. We got the bikes as gifts from friends, sometimes I bought a bike second hand. We often see cyclists on the road, taking their bikes here somewhere by car and then riding them as a sport. Our solution is much more sustainable, better for health and we save a lot of money!

Watch video on youtube:

Our simple bicycles

No car but mobile


No fridge

We don't buy milk, cheese and whatever else you put in the fridge. 2021 I made my own kefir. A neighbour who also made kefir bought the goat's milk from a shepherd and brought it to me - 4 litres once a week. That also worked well without a fridge. Later I stopped because, according to our impression, my voice sounded mucous more often. We eat fruit, vegetables, avocados and herbs from our garden, home-grown sprouts, fermented seeds, sun-dried crackers, lacto-fermented vegetables (I will write about it later), eggs and dried meat from our chickens, sometimes home-made dried fruit, sometimes we buy something in Nerja, but at home we eat almost only raw food. We don't need a fridge for that.

No cooking

Our health is important to us. And in our experience, a diet of predominantly raw foods does us good. But we don't want to ban heated food altogether. Therefore, we also eat heated food on the road, but usually only raw food at home. I find it easier to eat only raw food, if I don't see the heated food at home. This also means we don't need a cooker, gas bottles or pots, and there is less cleaning work.

Watch video on youtube:

Fruit and vegetables in our kitchen

No fridge but nice food


No TV

Murielle and I both have smartphones, and I also have a laptop (Chromebook). Sometimes we watch a movie on the laptop. But I mainly use the laptop to write this blog. We can use it to watch everything that's on TV. The screen is a bit smaller, but that's fine with us. I'm proud of my smartphone because I've been using it for five and a half years without changing the battery. I bought it in January 2018, it's a Huawei Y6 2017.

Watch video on youtube:

No TV but laptop



No sofa

When we sit down, it is usually on the floor on a small mattress. This is just as cosy as a sofa, but takes up less space because we usually put the mattress up. We use our chairs almost only for playing the piano (yes, we have an electronic piano at home). Now I use the chair more often to write on the blog. It is better to sit in the chair with a straight back than to lie down when typing on the laptop.

Watch video on youtube:

Mattress  for sitting down

No sofa but comfort



No WC

There really is no WC in our hut! We have dug a small trench in the garden. We shit in it, clean our bums a bit with a stick, cover our droppings with earth and then wash our bums with water. This way, our shit doesn't cause any smell and then benefits the garden plants. The condition for this is our healthy diet. In the case of normal toilets, the toilet contents end up as sewage sludge in a hazardous waste landfill. after it has been laboriously separated from the water in a sewage treatment plant. It is supposed to be valuable fertiliser - what a nonsensical disposal system!

Watch video on youtube:

Trench for shitting

No WC but shitpit



Piano - yes!

We also have our little luxury: an electronic piano. I use it to prepare for church services, as well as for my assignments at celebrations and events.

If a TV or a car is important to you, I think it's right to buy them. I just want to draw your attention to the fact that there are perhaps a few things that burden you more than enrich you. And if so, then the next question is: where to put them...



View into our hut. In the middle of the room is the piano.

Comments

Maike said…
Hallo Meenhard, dein Blog gefällt mir sehr gut, du hast ihn interessant und eindrucksvoll gestaltet. Die eingebauten Filme vermitteln sehr informativ und realitätsnah euren interessanten Lebensstil.
Der Blog regt zum Nachdenken an, macht neugierig mehr zu erfahren und macht Lust darüber nachzudenken wie auch ich nachhaltiger und naturnäher leben kann,bin meinem Rahmen.
Danke für deine Mühe, ich hoffe dass du viele interessierte Menschen damit erreichst.
Ganz liebe Grüße an euch beide von Maike!
Meenhard Fokken said…
Thanks to my sister Maike, she wrote that my blog made her think about how she too could live more sustainably and closer to nature.
Hilke said…
Hi Meenhard,
thank you so much for this Blog! It keeps me up what my brother is doing far away in Spain and gives me a view in your different and impressive lifestyle. You demonstrate how less is nessecary to live a happy life in nature.
Back home after visiting you I made some vegetable fermentation and it worked pretty well.
All the best to you and Murielle!
Your sister Hilke