7 Apr 2024

A little horror story

My little horror story can't compete with the gruesomeness of a horror film. But it has its own charm because it comes from my real life. It happened last evening. 

Under the mulberry tree

It occurs to me to eat mulberries. I go to the big mulberry tree. It already has plenty of ripe mulberries, the tastiest ones are almost black, but they can also be slightly lighter in colour, like amaranth purple. I discover that there are already quite a few lying on the floor. Most of them are even riper and tastier. Sometimes I blow them off before putting them in my mouth. But herbs grow under the tree, so the mulberries are usually clean. And I'm hungry, the rhythm of my movements speeds up... 

Out and back in again

Suddenly the contents of my mouth return to the ground in the herbs at an even greater speed. I feel something in my mouth, it doesn't come out. It's probably a small animal, it has bitten into the skin quite far back, close to the palate. I try to get it out with a sharp stream of air, but I don't succeed. Now I put the mulberries back from the ground into my mouth. I hope that the little animal slips into my stomach with the food. 

It doesn't come out

After I've eaten enough mulberries, I can still feel the animal close to the roof of my mouth. In our hut, I try to reach it with a finger, then with a spoon handle, but I don't succeed. Well, I'll go to sleep with it if I have to, the skin will get rid of the little beast. But I would still like to know what it is.  One more attempt, mouth wide open, right index finger deep inside - I've got it and manage to get it out of my mouth! And what do I see now? A dead ant! Conclusion: Better to eat a little slower! 

Former experiences

I sometimes eat ants on purpose, but then move them back and forth in my mouth with my tongue so they can't bite. Once a Green Shield Bug got into my mouth with the wild plants I was eating. It released an unpleasant-tasting secretion, it tasted similar to coriander but much hotter. I automatically spat it all out again - and watched the green bug run away.



Comments